Saturday, July 26, 2008

Piece of Cake!

So, I am not usually one to brag... but I am so proud of myself today! I completed my first wedding cake, for a real wedding, and it is awesome. Let me back-track a little. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to learn how to decorate cakes. I'm not really sure why - I've just always loved to "create" things, and cakes seemed like fun. But it wasn't until recently that I actually decided to act on this desire. A few months ago, I was talking to a friend of ours who is getting married this fall and she was telling me all the details of her wedding. When she started talking about the cake, I happened to mention that I've always wanted to be a cake decorator. She proceeded to tell me how cool the girls were that are making her cake, and that I should check with them because they were really busy and could probably use an apprentice. She was right. So for the past couple of months, I have been helping out at "Crumbs" cakery on Saturdays while Will is at work. Free training for me, cheap labour for them! It has been a lot of fun & has been a great way for me to get my creative fix!

Well, recently a couple came in wanting something a little different for their wedding. The groom is a tatto artist, and the bride really likes "Ed Hardy" brand clothing, so they wanted something kind of based around that style. The other girls I work with were not very excited about it, and asked me to try to come up with some ideas. To make this long story a little shorter, they really liked one of my ideas, and the girls at Crumbs decided that this would be my first "on my own" cake. I was a little bit nervous and intimidated, but really excited to be able to do it exactly how I wanted it done. I ended up having a blast and it turned out better than I expected.



What do you think? Go ahead and tell me how cool I am... :)

11 comments:

doug said...

Holy moley! I am unbelievably impressed! I'll bet that cake was the hit of the wedding. There has probably never been a wedding cake that looked anything remotely close to that ever in history! So great, so playful, so fun - I love the shape of it, the colors, everything! Please post more cake pictures when you make more in the future! :)

Jolene said...

What in the Ace of Cakes Michelle?
You start out making it seem like you learned how to make a few icing roses - the Wilton class special and then BAM! That cake is awesome! Are you taking request for birthdays?

Kate said...

Dude, you're so Ace of Cakes! I'm super impressed. I think you have a bright future in cake decorating. Way to go!

Johnston Family said...

That is AWESOME!!! I am blown away, I wish that you were doing that when I got married! How much funner would it have been to have a cake like that, rather then a boring traditional white one! I seriously love it! You have always been so creative. :)

Korey and Brandi said...

Hey that is to funny cause I just seen yours and was going to say Hi to you! lets keep in touch!
Brandi

King Jimmie said...

You're so rad! Ya know, I might be getting married someday...

Brianne McCleary said...

no way! you rock and you will definitely be decorating my wedding cake . . . don't get your hot pads ready just yet! going to be awhile.

Stilovich Family said...

wow... I knew you were talented but... WOW! That is awsome? Where were you when I needed a wedding cake?
I am glad you found my blog and yes, hopefully we can try to stay in touch this way, it has been too long! Remember playing nerts and singing "My father was a cop..." I stole that CD from my mom and think about you guys everytime I hear that song!

Brittnie or "Bert" said...

Hey Micki, I can't beleive I found you! It's Brittnie. Yep, the one you share your Birthday with. How are you? Check out my blog and comment, I would love to get back in touch with you.
www.bertsfam.blogspot.com

Myersville said...

Are you kidding! You rock. I took a cake decorating class for fun and I still cant get the icing smooth. Oh well, I'm way ok with you be so awesome at this. We sure miss you guys. From the sounds of it things are going really well. Love you. Miss you
carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hey Micki- It was good to hear from you. I love this blog world to keep in touch with people. I love the cake- you are so talented. It reminds me of when we painted that big board with our hands and feet! Those were the days. I look forward to keeping in touch.
-Natalie